13 March 2012

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins
2008

This book was the 'big thing' to read during my first year of university (two years ago). Someone on my floor had a copy, and then it just got passed from person to person. This is for two reasons: 1 - we are university students and didn't all want to buy the book and 2 - it's a fantastic book.
The writing isn't the greatest, but the plot and characters are outstanding. The book takes place in the future in a kind of dystopian world. There is a place called Panem which is divided into districts and a capital. The Hunger Games are an annual thing where a male and female tribute from each district are forced to compete and ultimately kill one another.
Some parts of the book were horrifying. There isn't a lot of detail about the deaths, but some parts of the story are just told with enough detail to make you kind of squirm. 
I really liked this book. It took me a chapter to get into it and figure out the futuristic world and to learn all the characters, but once I got past that I couldn't put the book down*. The characters just kind of get to you after a while and you start to need to know more. I've read this book quite a few times and it is just as good each time. I've always found something new in the book to enjoy and sometimes you just notice more of the little connections and themes.
There are two books after this one in the series, but I think this one is my favourite.
I'm excited to see the movie when it comes out in a few weeks. I'm a little nervous about seeing some parts because depending on how the producers made them appear on screen they could be terrifying, but we'll see.

This book is available for purchase from Amazon here: The Hunger Games

I give this book 4.6 stars out of 5. There was a good plot and well-developed characters and the book was well-written.

Have you read this book? This series? Are you going to go see the movie?

*This is a very common thing for me. The whole, not being able to put a book down when it gets good.

No comments:

Post a Comment