15 March 2012

Sloppy Firsts - Megan McCafferty

Sloppy Firsts
Megan McCafferty
2001

I was introduced to this series by a vlogger named Hayley G Hoover some time ago. I was looking for a new book to read, and my library happened to have the entire series for my e-reader, so I checked this one out. The series is about Jessica Darling and Marcus Flutie, and it is phenomenal. 
The series is written in diary entries and letters. This book starts with Jessica Darling in her junior year of high school. Her best friend has just moved away and she feels like she has nobody. This turns into one of the best love stories I have ever read.
I really liked the diary entry and letter writing narration because it lets you get to know everything Jessica is thinking. It's kind of similar to the way The Princess Diaries stories are told. You get to know Jessica really well, but you also get to know Jessica's ideas and thoughts about other people. The characters are well-developed and you feel like you're really know them and they could be your friends.
This isn't exactly a young adult novel as there is quite a lot of swearing and promiscuity, but I really enjoyed reading it. Some of the scenes (maybe not in the first book so much as in the others) are highly inappropriate, but the overall story is so good. 
This is one series that I would love to see as a movie. I feel like the story would translate really well, although some parts would be kind of graphic. 

This book is available for purchase from Amazon here: Sloppy Firsts

Overall I give this book 4.5 stars out of 5. The series as a whole has a higher rating though, probably around a 4.7. 

Have you read this book? Did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment