7 March 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why
Jay Asher
2007

I would like to say that I picked this book up because of its title, or because I recognized the author's name, or even because I had heard a good review of the book, but the truth is that I picked it up at Costco because the cover was shiny. That's a lame reason. I know. Originally I wasn't even going to purchase the book because I read the back and wasn't convinced it was something I would like, but I stood in the book aisle and started reading. And then I knew I had to finish it. It is also a New York Times and International Bestseller. And all those people couldn't be wrong.
Thirteen Reasons Why is a story that is kind of about Clay Jensen, but it is also the story of Hannah Baker. But Hannah Baker is dead. Her story is told through a series of tapes that are secretly being passed around town. What Clay learns from these tapes changes his life forever. Okay. Some of that may have been taken from the back of the book. Just the last sentence. 
I really liked this book. It kind of sucked me into this fantasy world (and by that I just mean a world that didn't revolve around my dorm room) and I didn't want to leave. I wanted to learn everything that was on the tapes as much as Clay did. I fell in love with the characters, which is something that often happens with me. I wanted to know everything. 
One of the most interesting parts of this book is the way it is written. The chapters are numbered by which cassette Clay is on, and which side. And throughout the book you see the play and pause symbols. The story is written in plain font, and what is said on the tapes is in italics. This makes it easy to distinguish what is really happening versus what Clay is listening to. 

The book is available for purchase from Amazon here: Thirteen Reasons Why

I give this book 4 stars out of 5. While I loved the characters and the way the story was written, it had some parts that seemed strange. Like, people not noticing things that I think they should have noticed, but didn't for the sake of the story. If you read it, you might understand what I'm talking about.

Have you read this book? Have you read any other books by Jay Asher?

No comments:

Post a Comment